Jack Fruit in Coconut Milk
Boil jackfruit in salted water for about 10 minutes or until half cooked. Drain and put in a large pot with salt fish bones, shrimps, salt, daun selaseh, ground ingredients and thin coconut milk. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring while it is cooking. Boil for a minute or two then add thick coconut milk. Bring back to the boil over low heat, and cook stirring all the time for 10-15 minutes.
450 g (3/4 kt) of jackfruit is approximately one quarter of a small fruit.
- 450 g (3/4 kt) young unripe jackfruit (nangka) – peel and cut into slices about 3 cm (1 1/4 in) thick (oil knife before cutting)
- 450 g (3/4 kt) grated coconut – first add 2 cups water and extract equal amount of milk (thick milk): add another 2 cu ps of water and extract equal amount of milk (thin milk)
- 120 g (3 tah) salted ikan kurau bones, or dried salted cod – wash
- 150 g (1/4 kt) shrimps – peel
- 4 sprigs basil (daun selaseh), optional- break each into 3 pieces
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp small white dried whitebait (ikan bilis)- soak beforehand
- 5 shallots
- l 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 dried chillies – soak to soften
- 1 thin slice fresh turmeric