Put grated carrots and milk in a large, heavy saucepan and cook over high heat.
When liquid is reduced by half, add sugar, ghee and rose water, and continue cooking, stirring now and then.
When sugar has dissolved, lower heat, add almonds and cook for about 5 minutes. Add sultanas and continue to cook, stirring frequently.
When almost dry, add cashew nuts. When the mixture is dry and leaves the sides of the pan, remove from heat and sprinkle with cardamom seeds.
Spread mixture in a sandwich tin or cake tray and allow to cool, then cut into squares or diamond shapes. Alternatively, put a tablespoonful of mixture in the centre of a rectangular piece of cellophane paper, decorate with a cherry and almond slivers and wrap to form a neat package. Repeat till all the mixture is used.
The whole cooking process takes about an hour.
- 600 g (1 kt) carrots – peel and grate coarsely
- 750 ml (3 cups) fresh milk
- 450 g (3/4 kt) granulated sugar
- 60 g (1 1/2 tah) almonds- scald, remove skin and chop
- 120 g (3 tah) cashew nuts -cut each in half and fry in 2 tbsp ghee till golden brown
- 2 tbsp rose water
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 120 g (3 tah) sultanas
- 10 cardamoms- slit pods, remove seeds and discard pods