Banana in Gula Melaka Syrup
Combine gula Melaka, granulated sugar, water and pandan leaf in a saucepan and put over heat to dissolve sugar. When sugar has dissolved, strain syrup into another saucepan, add sohoon and bananas. Bring to the boil and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
Serve with coconut milk sauce.
- 600 g (1 kt) palm sugar (gula Melaka)
- 3 cups water
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 10 ripe bananas (pisang kepok) – cut each in two, lengthwise
- 1 fragrant screwpine leaf (daun pandan) – wash and tie
- 3 small bundles bean thread vermicelli (sohoon)- soak for a few minutes then cut into shorter lengths
Coconut Milk Sauce
- Mix 230 g (6 tah) grated coconut (remove skin) with 1/2 cup boiled water and extract the thick coconut milk, then add a pinch of salt