In a large bowl, combine chicken with all the ground ingredients, serai, lengkuas, turmeric powder, and salt.
Heat oil , add chicken and fry till fragrant.
Add water and coconut milk, then cover and bring to the boil.
Simmer till chicken is tender, stirring now and then during cooking.
The consistency of the gravy should be a little thick.
- 1 chicken weighing about 1.8 kg (3 kt)- cut into large pieces
Grind to a fine powder:
- 1 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 3 slightly heaped tbsp coriander (ketumbar) seeds- roast in dry pan before grinding
Grind to a smooth paste:
- 12-15 shallots – peel
- 3 red chillies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 thin slices ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass (serai) bruise
- 1 piece lengkuas (size of walnut) bruise
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 230 g (6 tah) grated coconut – mix with 2 cups water and extract equal amount of milk
- 1 cup water
- 8 tbsp oil